Saturday, September 5, 2015

The Quilted Borders

I finally got back to quilting tonight, and I honestly believe that the biggest problem with my machine quilting is my procrastination.  I worry and put it off and then when I finally get back to it, I love it and have fun doing it.  I need to take my time and not rush it.  This time I'm not freaking it out if it isn't perfect, and I am really happy with the way it is turning out.  Actually I should say I'm surprised with the way it is turning out.



I started the borders last evening and I used my walking foot for the petal shapes.  I would have never thought that it would be possible to do these petals with a walking foot. I did one half of the petals the length of the border and then started at the top again and worked the second half.  I then used my darning foot to free motion the wavy lines in the petals.  Whoohoo!!!  I cannot tell you how long I have thought about doing this and never had the courage to try it.  WHY?


As a matter of fact, I used the walking foot for everything except the wavy lines.  I felt I had more control with it and the quilt wasn't sliding all over.  Another hint, a new quilting needle is a must, the difference it makes is amazing! (I tend to forget to do that most of the time.)

I wanted to get some good photos of the whole quilt, and for some reason at 7:20 it was too dark out.  My son reminded me it is September and the days are becoming shorter so I need to get out there earlier.  I promise to have a full photo for you tomorrow or Monday so you can see the whole quilt, and hopefully another quilt that has been started!  I'm on a roll now, and there is no stopping me!

If you are interested in watching some of the Craftsy classes I have watched, they are on sale up to  1/2 off this weekend.  I found Dot to Dot Quilting, and Help! How do I Quilt It by Angela Walters to be great places to start (although I have to admit I have purchased all of her classes).  Leah Day has a great class on Quilting Samplers.  You can search for quilting classes here, and remember, they are yours to watch any time.  You can also ask the teachers questions, which I have never done, yet.  :)

Have a wonderful long weekend, I just realized Angela Walters has a new Craftsy class on quilting borders and backgrounds, so I guess I will  be making a purchase myself.  Back to the sewing room...Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

2 comments:

krisgray said...

Lovely quilting! I have the same issues with my quilting and also rediscovered its rewards this weekend.

The Craftsy quilting classes have been a big help, Angela Walters and Christina Cameli. There's a log cabin Quilt in my queue, so I picked up Angela's feather quilting class this weekend.

crazy quilter said...

This is beautiful! Love the colors, the pattern and the quilting!