Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Happy Fall!!!

We are almost a month into fall and for some reason it has been the busiest I've ever known.  My family celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary, and I ended up with a virus that lasted one day short of three weeks.  A sore throat that lasts over two weeks is almost enough to drive a person insane.  The sun is shining again after two days of rain, and I'm feeling like I'm going to live.  I also started working with a personal trainer and running again which I would love to blame for my illness, but they are both very good for me and necessary, so I won't.


I started appliqueing these petals over a month ago.  I love the way applique looks, I love the smooth rounded curves and I spent plenty of time researching how to make them that way.  I used starch, a paint brush, and an iron to get those curves just right.  For the most part it worked.  I'm not sure that applique is my thing though.  I had read somewhere that they should take about 10 minutes a leaf to stitch down.  I'm here today to say it takes a lot longer than that!  All the blocks are squared up and ready to be sewn together...finally!



I used the pattern  Orange Peel  from Moda Bake Shop.  I'm not going to use the same placement as that pattern, but I did use the petals.


I've also been working on this free pattern from Red Brolly.  I am using DMC threads instead of the Cosmo suggested on the pattern.  I will list the colors I am using once I finish this piece (which will hopefully be soon)!  I guess the family is waiting for me to go work out so I'm off.  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

Happy 20th! Sorry you have been feeling poorly.... hope the worst is over and you can get on with life. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your little leaf blocks.... I'm sure they will be worth all of the work when it all comes together.

beaquilter said...

Oh this Christmas sampler is SEW cute, downloaded it! adorable

Wendy said...

love the orange peels. I'm making some too for a QAL that is happening at Button-Button. I haven't made nearly as many as you though!