Thursday, May 22, 2014

Handmade Christmas Challenge

SewCalGal is having a Handmade Christmas Challenge and for once I am bound and determined to get some of these projects done early so I can enjoy the holiday and not stress trying to finish them.  I know I will still be working on some of them, but to even have one ready is exciting.


This quilt pattern was in the Fons and Porter November 2009 issue and was called "Holiday Cheer."  Now that I have my sewing cabinet finished I've been taking advantage of the extended top on it and trying some new quilting stitches.  I have also been spending some time watching Craftsy quilting classes and learning a lot.  Funny how studying can be so much fun when it is something that you love doing.


I am expanding my horizons with my walking foot...What a difference the 1/2" straight lines make around the center block.  In my experimenting I did realize something...if the quilt isn't moving freely, it may mean there is a problem on the underside of the quilt.  I ended up unsewing all the stippling I did in the outer border and redoing it because of the big loops on the bottom.  It was worth it though, and I am looking forward to the day in November when I hang this quilt for the holiday season.  Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a lot of warm, sunny days before then.  ;)


For some reason I made an extra corner star block so I decided to quilt that too and make it into a mug rug.  For more Christmas inspiration the other projects can be seen here.  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

1 comment:

Wendy said...

It's beautiful Kristen, your quilting looks lovely too.