Sunday, October 14, 2012

Table for Four and a Disaster

I am wondering of any of you have ever experienced anything like this and could offer some advice.  After early church, breakfast, and a great long walk I decided to work on my Quaker Christmas cross stitch that I started a while back.  I've been making great progress and was really excited as I started working on page 5 of the pattern...that is until this happened...




As you can see there is not much room left for framing.  I have never had this happen before and I am not quite sure what to do.  I do not know how much fabric there needs to be on the edge for framing, but I do not think less than an inch is enough.  I have spent hours upon hours on this project, and I am just sick to make this discovery.


This is how far I am on it, and I love it, but I really don't want to continue if there is no way I can get it framed, and I don't know that I want to even think about starting over yet.  I'd love to hear if anyone has any suggestions on making this work.  (You can click on the photo for a closer look).


I finished today's block early and decided to go with pink and white again.  I really like the illusion of the floating pieces.  This is number 288 of 366 and it is an 11-inch block.


Stash Report....

Used this week:  0
Used year to date:  10 yards
Added to this week:  10.5 yards
Added to year to date: 118.0 yards
Net used for 2012:  -107.50  

Nothing in, nothing out again this week, but soon! :)

Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

6 comments:

Rachel said...

OK, if this doesn't make sense, please feel free to ask me to clarify. I have SO been here. I was able to sew a strip of fabric on to the edge and pick a mat that came closer to the edge of the piece (covering the sewn line) so that you couldn't see my mistake and the framer still had something to make it work. beautiful piece!

Hilachas said...

I would definitely NOT start over. You have part of an octagon on the left so you could probably just end at part of an octagon on the right and just not sew the entire pattern, leaving about a couple of inches on the right. I KNOW how you're feeling since I've found myself in that spot when cross-stitching before. It is beautiful so I hope you can make it work.

heartsease54 said...

Kristen, Just add a piece of fabric to the side. When you get it framed, just be sure to have the mat come right up to the edge of your stitching and it won't show at all. I would add a piece of the same fabric used in the main piece. It will never show and should be just fine.

Sandra said...

Another suggestion would be to make a fabric frame around the picture. Then if the mat can't cover it all it will look like it was done intentionally.

Debbie said...

Hi Kristen,
I was going to suggest sewing a strip of fabric on the side of your piece also. Are you guys going to frame this or are you taking it somewhere to get it framed? Maybe you could take it to the framer and ask them what they suggest?

I love the piece, by the way. I was cross stitching yesterday too. I am making a Christmas stocking for Addison!!
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen, I am with the others, sew a piece of fabric to the side - I see there is stitching on the side that should stop any fraying. I did have this problem and this solution worked out very well. Good luck.

Your work is so beautiful. I can't wait to see it finished.

Connie :)