Thursday, August 30, 2012

Spinning Tops

For many years when I would choose fabrics for a quilt I would go with what the designer did in the pattern.  I would use the same fabric line, and if a shop didn't have the exact fabric, I would hunt until I found the exact fabric I was missing.  It didn't take me long to figure out that if I didn't start substituting some of the fabrics I would never finish anything because that took time..and it was before the internet so I would sometimes call a lot of shops describing the fabrics in great detail.  I have also made a lot of two and three fabric quilts.  They are simple and easy and use a lot of background fabric.  Since starting this block a day project I have limited myself to one line of fabric and by doing that there have been times when I have had to compromise or just do color combinations that I normally would not.  I now have found that some of my favorite blocks are the ones that use the greater number of fabrics.


So far this week I've made an orange horse, a pink and white block (which I am going to make a pink and white quilt), and now this brightly colored block.  I don't know that I would make a whole quilt out of this design, but I would love a quilt using all of these colors.  This is block number 242 of 366 and it is a 10-inch block.  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen
\
** I don't know what happened, but this didn't publish last night when I hit publish...guess I need to watch that a bit more carefully.**

1 comment:

Needled Mom said...

I was just thinking that it would make a great whole quilt block!!!

It is funny how the quilts with so many colors draw my attention too.