Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Watercolor Heart

As I made my block tonight I sat and thought about how my grandmother and I used to collect stamps.  My grandmother was a great letter writer and always sent the perfect card.  She also opened the mail for my grandfather and uncle's business so she had access to some great stamps.  Every Monday night she would bring me a few of the best.


I've been thinking for the last few weeks that making a postage stamp quilt would be a lot of fun.  You could make really elaborate designs with the tiny squares or do a random one with a strip from each fabric in your stash.  After going through my stash this weekend I thought it would really be fun to do that, that is after I have all my quilts cut out because I would never want to end up 1-1/2 inches short on something.  :) This block is 6 inches and is number 46 of 366.

I'm linking today with WIP Wednesday.  Happy Stitching!!  --Kristen

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi Kristen, I love the heart blocks you have been doing lately, they're all beautiful. Your son's quilt is looking fantastic too, I love the patterns in it, glad you found the extra fabric!! And I have read through your hexie tips, I will try that way next time.

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

I love the block Kristen!! :o) So cute! xo

Anonymous said...

What a great story. I've seen a couple of postage stamp quilts at a local display years ago and they looked fantastic done as 12" blocks with sashing. You could even get some of those stamps and that printable transfer stuff to make a fabric 'stamp' for the centre of each block.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a beautiful block - a lovely story too :)